Vegan Mango Coconut Rice is a delightful and aromatic dish that brings together the tropical flavors of ripe mangoes and creamy coconut with fragrant jasmine rice. This vegan recipe is a perfect blend of sweet and savory, making it an excellent side dish or even a light meal. Whether you’re looking for a refreshing summer dish or a way to add a touch of the tropics to your table, this Vegan Mango Coconut Rice is a must-try.
Recipe: Vegan Mango Coconut Rice
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or maple syrup
- Salt, to taste
- Lime wedges and additional cilantro for garnish (optional)
1. Rinse the Rice:
- Start by rinsing the jasmine rice in cold water until the water runs clear. This helps remove excess starch and ensures that the rice cooks up fluffy.
2. Cook the Rice:
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rinsed jasmine rice and coconut milk. Add a pinch of salt and bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once it’s boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover the saucepan with a lid, and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the rice is tender and has absorbed most of the coconut milk. Check the package instructions for your specific rice as cooking times can vary.
3. Prepare the Mango Salsa:
- In a separate bowl, combine the diced mango, finely diced red bell pepper, chopped cilantro, finely chopped red onion, lime juice, and agave nectar (or maple syrup). Gently toss everything together. Taste and adjust the sweetness or acidity if needed.
4. Combine the Rice and Mango Salsa:
- Once the rice is cooked, remove it from the heat and fluff it with a fork. Let it cool for a few minutes.
- Gently fold the prepared mango salsa into the cooked rice, ensuring it’s evenly distributed.
5. Serve and Garnish:
- Transfer the Vegan Mango Coconut Rice to a serving platter.
- If desired, garnish with lime wedges and additional cilantro.
(Per Serving – About 1 cup):
- Calories: 320
- Total Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Sodium: 10mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 46g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 9g
- Protein: 4g