Discover the heartwarming and savory delight of Vegan Lentil Shephard’s Pie, a plant-based twist on the classic comfort dish. This recipe combines hearty lentils, colorful vegetables, and flavorful seasonings, all crowned with a fluffy layer of mashed potatoes. With its satisfying layers and comforting aroma, this dish offers a wholesome and compassionate alternative to traditional Shepherd’s Pie. Whether you’re a committed vegan or simply looking to explore plant-based options, this Vegan Lentil Shepherd’s Pie is a delightful way to enjoy a cozy and nourishing meal.
Vegan Lentil Shepherd’s Pie:
For the Lentil Filling:
- 1 cup dried green or brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ONE teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Mashed Potato Topping:
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or other plant-based milk
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter or olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, combine the lentils and vegetable broth (or water). Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 20-25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender but not mushy. Drain any excess liquid and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and diced carrots. Sauté for about 5-7 minutes, until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the minced garlic, frozen peas, dried thyme, and dried rosemary to the skillet. Sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked lentils and tomato paste. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for a few more minutes, allowing the flavors to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate pot, cover the cubed potatoes with water. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes using a potato masher or fork. Add the unsweetened almond milk, vegan butter (or olive oil), salt, and pepper. Continue mashing until smooth and creamy.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a baking dish, spread the lentil filling evenly as the bottom layer.
- Spread the mashed potato mixture on top of the lentil filling, creating an even layer.
- Use a fork to create a textured pattern on the mashed potato topping.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden and the edges are bubbling.
Nutrition Facts (per serving, based on 6 servings):
- Calories: ~300
- Total Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Total Carbohydrates: 53g
- Dietary Fiber: 15g
- Sugars: 7g
- Protein: 14g