Chickpea Vegan Omelette is a flavorful and nutritious plant-based alternative to traditional omelettes. Made with chickpea flour, this vegan version mimics the texture and taste of eggs without any animal products. Packed with protein and customizable with your favorite veggies and seasonings, it’s a versatile breakfast or brunch option that’s both satisfying and compassionate. Let’s dive into the recipe!
Recipe: Chickpea Vegan Omelette
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (for color)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup diced bell peppers
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped spinach or kale (optional)
- 1/4 cup diced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional, for a cheesy flavor)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (for frying)
- Fresh herbs, like parsley or cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the chickpea flour, water, turmeric, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Whisk until you have a smooth batter. Let it sit for about 10 minutes to allow the chickpea flour to absorb the liquid.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, and any other veggies you prefer. Sauté them until they are slightly softened, about 3-4 minutes. Remove the veggies from the skillet and set them aside.
- In the same skillet, add another tablespoon of cooking oil and swirl it around to coat the bottom.
- Pour half of the chickpea batter into the skillet, spreading it out evenly. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until the edges start to set and the surface begins to bubble slightly.
- Sprinkle half of the sautéed veggies, and any optional nutritional yeast or herbs, evenly over one half of the omelette.
- Carefully fold the other half of the omelette over the toppings to create a half-moon shape. Press down gently with a spatula.
- Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until the omelette is golden brown and cooked through. Flip and cook briefly on the other side if needed.
- Slide the omelette onto a serving plate. Repeat the process with the remaining chickpea batter and sautéed veggies to make the second omelette.
(assuming 1 omelette serving without optional ingredients):
- Calories: 300
- Total Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 350mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 35g
- Dietary Fiber: 9g
- Total Sugars: 6g
- Protein: 15g