If you thought that light and airy meringue was off-limits for vegans, think again! This delightful Recipe Vegan Meringue will show you just how easy it is to create the same luscious and cloud-like confection without using egg whites. By harnessing the magic of aquafaba, the liquid from a can of chickpeas, you can whip up a plant-based meringue that’s perfect for topping pies, cakes, or enjoying as sweet, melt-in-your-mouth treats. Get ready to impress your guests and satisfy your sweet tooth with this cruelty-free vegan meringue that’s bursting with flavor and ethereal texture.
Servings: Makes approximately 2 cups of vegan meringue
- 1/2 cup aquafaba (chickpea brine, liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Food coloring (optional, for colorful meringue)
- Begin by preheating your oven to 200°F (95°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a clean, dry mixing bowl, pour the aquafaba, which is the liquid drained from a can of chickpeas.
- Using an electric mixer or a stand mixer, whip the aquafaba on medium speed until it becomes frothy, which should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cream of tartar and continue whipping the aquafaba until soft peaks begin to form. This step can take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the strength of your mixer.
- Gradually add the granulated sugar, a spoonful at a time, while continuing to whip the aquafaba. Ensure that the sugar is fully incorporated after each addition.
- Once all the sugar has been added, continue whipping the aquafaba until stiff peaks form. This should take another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Gently fold in the vanilla extract and a pinch of salt until well combined.
- If desired, add a few drops of food coloring to create colorful vegan meringue.
- Using a piping bag or a spoon, dollop or pipe the vegan meringue onto the prepared baking sheet, forming individual meringue cookies or nests.
- Bake the meringues in the preheated oven for approximately 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the meringues are dry and easily lift off the parchment paper.
- Once baked, turn off the oven and let the meringues cool completely inside the oven to prevent cracking.
Nutrition Facts per Serving (approximate values):
- Calories: 96
- Total Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 30mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 24g
- Dietary Fiber: 0g
- Sugars: 24g
- Protein: 0g