Experience the savory and nutritious goodness of Tempeh Vegan Recipe, a versatile plant-based protein that has been enjoyed for centuries. Derived from fermented soybeans, tempeh offers a hearty and meaty texture that makes it an ideal substitute for animal-based proteins. In this vegan recipe, we showcase the deliciousness of tempeh by marinating it in a medley of flavorful spices and creating a mouthwatering dish that will satisfy both vegans and non-vegans alike. With its impressive nutritional profile and rich umami taste, this tempeh vegan recipe promises a wholesome and delightful dining experience that aligns with your plant-based lifestyle.
Servings: 4 servings
For the Tempeh Marinade:
- 8 ounces (about 225g) tempeh, cut into thin slices or cubes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari (for gluten-free option)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (adjust to your preferred spice level)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (for pan-frying)
- Sliced green onions
- Sesame seeds
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- In a shallow dish, whisk together all the marinade ingredients until well combined.
- Add the sliced or cubed tempeh to the marinade, ensuring each piece is fully coated. Let it marinate for at least 30 minutes, or preferably overnight in the refrigerator, to enhance the flavors.
- After marinating, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the marinated tempeh to the pan, reserving any excess marinade.
- Cook the tempeh for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until it turns golden brown and slightly crispy. Pour any remaining marinade into the pan while cooking to further infuse the tempeh with flavor.
- Once the tempeh is cooked to your desired crispness, transfer it to a plate lined with paper towels to remove any excess oil.
- Serve the tempeh immediately, garnishing it with sliced green onions, sesame seeds, or crushed red pepper flakes for an extra burst of flavor and visual appeal.
Nutrition Facts per Serving (approximate values):
- Calories: 204
- Total Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 500mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 12g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Sugars: 4g
- Protein: 17g