Vegan Banana Bread is a timeless classic that has been given a plant-based twist, making it suitable for those following a vegan lifestyle. This recipe transforms overripe bananas into a moist and flavorful loaf that’s perfect for breakfast, a snack, or even dessert. By using simple and wholesome ingredients, you can create a delicious treat that’s free from animal products while still retaining all the comforting flavors you love. Whether you’re a seasoned vegan or simply looking to explore plant-based baking, this Vegan Banana Bread is sure to become a favorite in your kitchen.
Vegan Banana Bread:
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and line a standard loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving some overhang for easy removal.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed bananas, unsweetened applesauce, coconut oil (or vegetable oil), brown sugar (or coconut sugar), and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined and smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- If using, fold in the chopped walnuts or pecans.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, spreading it evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Once baked, remove the banana bread from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Then, carefully lift it out using the parchment paper overhang and transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts (per slice, based on 10 slices):
- Calories: ~220
- Total Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Total Carbohydrates: 31g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 14g
- Protein: 2g