Indulge in the aromatic and exotic flavors of this Vegan Chickpea Curry, a comforting and wholesome dish that celebrates the richness of plant-based ingredients. Bursting with protein-packed chickpeas and a medley of vibrant spices, this curry is sure to delight both vegans and non-vegans alike. Whether you’re a curry enthusiast or looking to explore new vegan recipes, this Chickpea Curry will take your taste buds on a journey of delectable flavors and textures. So, gather your ingredients and let’s dive into the world of tantalizing plant-based goodness!
Servings: Makes approximately 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or any other vegetable oil)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to your desired level of spiciness)
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes (or use fresh tomatoes)
- 1 can (15 oz) coconut milk (full-fat for creaminess)
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (canned or cooked from dried)
- 1 cup vegetable broth (low-sodium, if possible)
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Cooked rice or naan bread, for serving
- In a large skillet or saucepan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add the finely chopped onion and sauté until it becomes translucent and slightly browned.
- Stir in the minced garlic and grated ginger, and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the curry powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric powder, and cayenne pepper to the skillet. Stir well to coat the onions and spices evenly. Cook for 1-2 minutes to toast the spices.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes and coconut milk, stirring to combine all the ingredients.
- Add the cooked chickpeas and vegetable broth to the skillet. Stir gently, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet, and let the curry simmer for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. This will allow the flavors to intensify and the sauce to thicken.
- Just before serving, stir in the fresh spinach leaves and let them wilt in the curry.
- Season the Vegan Chickpea Curry with salt and pepper to your taste preferences.
- Serve the Vegan Chickpea Curry over cooked rice or alongside warm naan bread. Garnish with fresh cilantro for an added burst of flavor.
Nutrition Facts per Serving (approximate values):
- Calories: 352
- Total Fat: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 15g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 422mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 31g
- Dietary Fiber: 8g
- Sugars: 6g
- Protein: 9g