Vegan Lentil Flatbread is a versatile and nutritious alternative to traditional flatbreads. It’s not only vegan but also gluten-free, making it suitable for a wide range of dietary preferences. This flatbread is made from red lentil flour, which is rich in plant-based protein and fiber, making it a filling and wholesome choice. Whether you use it as a base for pizzas, a wrap for sandwiches, or enjoy it on its own as a snack, this Vegan Lentil Flatbread is sure to please your taste buds and satisfy your hunger.
Recipe: Vegan Lentil Flatbread
- 1 cup red lentil flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- Cooking spray or additional olive oil for greasing
Preparing the Batter:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the red lentil flour, water, olive oil, salt, ground cumin (if using), and garlic powder (if using). Mix until you have a smooth, pourable batter. Let it rest for about 10-15 minutes to allow the flour to absorb the liquids.
Cooking the Flatbread:
- Heat a non-stick skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Lightly grease it with cooking spray or a small amount of olive oil.
- Pour a ladleful of the lentil batter onto the hot skillet, spreading it out into a thin, even circle using the back of the ladle or a spatula. The size and thickness of the flatbread are up to your preference.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes on one side or until you see small bubbles forming on the surface and the edges start to lift.
- Flip the flatbread and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes on the other side until it’s lightly golden and cooked through.
- Repeat this process with the remaining batter, adding more oil or cooking spray as needed to prevent sticking.
- Once cooked, transfer the flatbreads to a plate and let them cool slightly. They can be served warm or at room temperature.
(recipe makes 4 servings, ):
- Calories: 160
- Total Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Sodium: 292mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 22g
- Dietary Fiber: 6g
- Sugars: 1g
- Protein: 9g