Vegan Milk Bread is a soft, fluffy, and versatile bread that’s completely free of animal products, making it suitable for vegans and those with dairy allergies. This bread is perfect for sandwiches, toast, or simply enjoying with your favorite spreads. It’s a delightful addition to any plant-based diet and offers the same comforting texture and taste as traditional milk bread without using any dairy or eggs. Let’s dive into the recipe for Vegan Milk Bread.
Recipe: Vegan Milk Bread
For the Tangzhong (Starter):
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any unsweetened plant-based milk)
For the Bread Dough:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (as an egg substitute)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any unsweetened plant-based milk)
Preparing the Tangzhong (Starter):
- In a small saucepan, whisk together 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour and 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (or your preferred plant-based milk) until there are no lumps.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens to a pudding-like consistency. This should take about 3-5 minutes. Remove it from heat and let it cool to room temperature.
Making the Bread Dough:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the 4 cups of all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, active dry yeast, and salt.
- Add the cooled Tangzhong (starter), unsweetened applesauce (as an egg substitute), vegetable oil, and 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk (or your preferred plant-based milk) to the dry ingredients.
- Mix the ingredients until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough for about 10 minutes, either by hand or with a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. The dough should be smooth and elastic.
- Form the dough into a ball and place it in a lightly greased bowl. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm, draft-free place for 1-2 hours, or until it has doubled in size.
Shaping and Baking:
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down to release excess air.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions and shape each into a loaf. Place them in greased 8×4-inch loaf pans.
- Cover the pans with a clean kitchen towel and let the dough rise for another 30-45 minutes, or until it has again doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bake the loaves in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until they are golden brown on top and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Remove the bread from the pans and let it cool on a wire rack.
(recipe makes 16 servings, one serving is one slice):
- Calories: 145
- Total Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 148mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 23g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 3g
- Protein: 3g