Warm up with a comforting bowl of Vegan Sweet Potato Chili, a delicious and nutrient-packed plant-based twist on the classic chili recipe. This hearty and satisfying dish brings together the natural sweetness of sweet potatoes, the richness of beans, and a harmonious blend of spices to create a chili that’s as wholesome as it is flavorful. Perfect for chilly evenings or for feeding a hungry crowd, this Vegan Sweet Potato Chili is a wonderful way to incorporate nutritious ingredients into your vegan cooking. So, let’s grab our aprons and cook up this nourishing and delightful chili that will fill your home with the inviting aroma of wholesome goodness.
Servings: Makes approximately 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- ONE red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- ONE can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes (fire-roasted for added flavor)
- ONE cup vegetable broth (low-sodium, if possible)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ONE teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to your desired level of spiciness)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh cilantro and sliced green onions, for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté until it becomes translucent and slightly caramelized.
- Stir in the minced garlic and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the diced sweet potato, chopped red and green bell peppers to the pot. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the sweet potato begins to soften.
- Add the drained and rinsed black beans and kidney beans to the pot, along with the diced tomatoes (with their juice).
- Pour in the vegetable broth to the pot, stirring all the ingredients together.
- Season the chili with chili powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, dried oregano, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Stir well to ensure the spices are evenly distributed.
- Bring the chili to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes. This will allow the flavors to meld together, and the sweet potatoes to become tender.
- Taste the chili and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Serve the Vegan Sweet Potato Chili hot in bowls, garnished with fresh cilantro and sliced green onions for added freshness and color.
Nutrition Facts per Serving (approximate values):
- Calories: 265
- Total Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 595mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 48g
- Dietary Fiber: 15g
- Sugars: 7g
- Protein: 13g