Chocolate Vegan Babka is a delectable, plant-based twist on the classic Eastern European sweet bread, traditionally filled with a swirl of cinnamon and chocolate. In this recipe, we’ll show you how to make a vegan version that’s equally delicious. It’s a delightful treat perfect for breakfast, brunch, or dessert. Plus, it’s a great way to enjoy the flavors of chocolate and a sweet, doughy bread while adhering to a vegan lifestyle. Let’s get started on making this mouthwatering Chocolate Vegan Babka.
Recipe: Chocolate Vegan Babka
For the Babka Dough:
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, warmed
- 2 1/4 tsp (1 packet) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Chocolate Filling:
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the Chocolate Glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Activate the Yeast:
- In a small bowl, combine the warm almond milk, yeast, and a pinch of sugar. Allow it to sit for about 10 minutes, or until it becomes frothy.
2. Prepare the Dough:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the melted vegan butter, sugar, and salt. Mix well.
- Gradually add the yeast mixture, followed by the flour. Mix until a soft dough forms.
3. Knead the Dough:
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it for about 5 minutes until it’s smooth and elastic.
4. Let the Dough Rise:
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise for about 1 hour, or until it has doubled in size.
5. Prepare the Chocolate Filling:
- In a small bowl, mix together the chocolate chips, cocoa powder, sugar, melted vegan butter, and ground cinnamon until it forms a thick paste.
6. Assemble the Babka:
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle, about 16×12 inches in size.
- Spread the chocolate filling evenly over the dough.
- Roll the dough up tightly, like a jellyroll.
- Cut the roll in half lengthwise, creating two long strips. Then twist the strips together to form a braided loaf.
- Place the babka into a greased loaf pan. Cover it and let it rise for an additional 30 minutes while you preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bake the babka in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until it’s golden brown.
8. Prepare the Chocolate Glaze:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, almond milk, and vanilla extract to create a glaze.
9. Glaze and Serve:
- Once the babka is out of the oven and has cooled slightly, drizzle the chocolate glaze over the top.
- Calories: 350
- Total Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Sodium: 190mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 54g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Sugars: 21g
- Protein: 6g