Fried Vegan Donuts are a delightful and cruelty-free twist on the classic fried treat. These donuts are perfect for those who follow a vegan diet or simply want to enjoy a delicious, plant-based dessert. They are soft, fluffy, and can be customized with your favorite glazes and toppings. In this recipe, we’ll make a basic vegan donut that you can dress up however you like. Let’s get started:
Recipe: Fried Vegan Donuts
For the Donuts:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk or any plant-based milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil for frying
Optional Glaze and Toppings:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Sprinkles, crushed nuts, or shredded coconut (for topping)
1. Prepare the Donut Dough:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the unsweetened almond milk, unsweetened applesauce, vegetable oil, and pure vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix; a few lumps are okay.
2. Roll and Cut the Donuts:
- Lightly flour a clean surface and roll out the dough to about 1/2-inch thickness.
- Use a donut cutter or a round cookie cutter to cut out donut shapes. If you don’t have a donut cutter, you can use a glass for the outer circle and a smaller bottle cap for the inner hole.
3. Heat the Oil:
- In a large, deep skillet or pot, heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil to 350°F (175°C). Use a kitchen thermometer to monitor the temperature.
4. Fry the Donuts:
- Carefully place the donuts into the hot oil. Fry each donut for about 1-2 minutes on each side or until they turn golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to flip them.
5. Drain and Cool:
- Once the donuts are fried, remove them from the oil and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.
6. Optional Glazing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, unsweetened almond milk, and pure vanilla extract to make the glaze. Dip each donut into the glaze and let the excess drip off.
7. Add Toppings:
- While the glaze is still wet, add your favorite toppings, such as sprinkles, crushed nuts, or shredded coconut.
- Calories: 160
- Total Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Sodium: 160mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 26g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 13g
- Protein: 2g