Red Lentil Recipes Vegan, with their vibrant color and nutritional benefits, are a versatile and satisfying ingredient in the world of vegan cooking. Packed with plant-based protein and a variety of essential nutrients, red lentils lend themselves to a plethora of delicious dishes. From hearty soups to flavorful curries, these red lentil recipes will not only tantalize your taste buds but also provide a wholesome and nourishing meal that’s perfect for vegans and anyone seeking a nutrient-rich diet.
Vegan Red Lentil Soup Recipe: Servings: 4-6
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh lemon juice and chopped cilantro for garnish
Sauté the Vegetables:
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, carrots, and celery. Sauté for about 5-7 minutes, until the vegetables start to soften.
Add Spices and Lentils:
- Stir in the minced garlic, ground cumin, ground turmeric, and ground paprika. Cook for another 1-2 minutes to toast the spices.
- Add the red lentils to the pot and give everything a good stir.
Add Broth and Tomatoes:
- Pour in the vegetable broth and add the canned diced tomatoes (including the juices). Stir to combine.
Simmer the Soup:
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and let the soup simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender and fully cooked.
- For a creamier consistency, you can use an immersion blender to partially blend the soup, leaving some texture.
Season and Serve:
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Squeeze in fresh lemon juice for a burst of flavor.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Nutrition Facts (per serving, based on 4 servings):
- Calories: ~250
- Total Fat: ~4g
- Saturated Fat: ~0.5g
- Carbohydrates: ~40g
- Fiber: ~10g
- Sugars: ~7g
- Protein: ~15g
- Sodium: ~800mg