Greek Chickpea Soup with Lemon, also known as “Revithia,” is a classic Greek dish that is both hearty and refreshing. This soup combines the earthy flavors of chickpeas with the bright zest of lemon, creating a comforting and nutritious meal. It’s a perfect choice for a light lunch or dinner, and it’s particularly popular during the winter months in Greece.
Recipe: Greek Chickpea Soup with Lemon
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight or canned chickpeas (if using canned, drain and rinse)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- ONE celery stalk, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving – Makes 4 servings):
- Calories: 320
- Total Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 850mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 43g
- Dietary Fiber: 10g
- Sugars: 6g
- Protein: 12g
This recipe makes approximately 4 servings.
1. Prepare Chickpeas:
If using dried chickpeas, drain and rinse them after soaking overnight. If using canned chickpeas, drain and rinse them as well.
2. Sauté Onions and Garlic:
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic. Sauté until the onions are translucent.
3. Add Vegetables:
- Add the chopped carrot, celery, bay leaf, and dried oregano to the pot. Sauté for a few more minutes.
4. Add Chickpeas and Broth:
- Add the chickpeas to the pot, and pour in the vegetable broth. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it simmer for about 1 hour or until the chickpeas are tender. If you’re using canned chickpeas, this will take less time, about 20-30 minutes.
6. Season with Lemon:
- Once the chickpeas are tender, remove the pot from heat. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with fresh parsley, and serve. You can also drizzle a bit of extra-virgin olive oil on top for added richness.
- Enjoy your Greek Chickpea Soup with Lemon, and consider serving it with a side of crusty bread or a fresh Greek salad.