Lentil Oat Burgers are a wholesome and satisfying plant-based alternative to traditional beef burgers. Packed with protein, fiber, and a medley of savory flavors, these burgers are not only delicious but also nutritious. Whether you’re a vegetarian, vegan, or simply looking to incorporate more plant-based meals into your diet, these Lentil Oat Burgers are a fantastic choice. They’re perfect for grilling, pan-frying, or baking, and they hold together beautifully on a bun with your favorite burger toppings. Let’s dive into the recipe for Lentil Oat Burgers.
Recipe: Lentil Oat Burgers
- 1 cup dried green or brown lentils
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup rolled oats (gluten-free if needed)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to your spice preference)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking oil for frying (if pan-frying)
Cooking the Lentils:
- Rinse the dried lentils under cold water and drain them.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rinsed lentils and vegetable broth (or water). Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 20-25 minutes or until the lentils are tender but not mushy. Drain any excess liquid.
Preparing the Burger Mixture:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked lentils, rolled oats, finely chopped onion, grated carrots, minced garlic, tomato paste, ground cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Using a potato masher or the back of a fork, mash the mixture until it comes together. You want some texture, so don’t mash it completely smooth.
- Let the mixture cool for about 15-20 minutes in the refrigerator. This will make it easier to form into patties.
Forming and Cooking the Burgers:
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and shape each portion into a patty.
- If you’re grilling, preheat your grill to medium-high heat. If you’re pan-frying, heat a skillet over medium heat with a little cooking oil.
- Grill or pan-fry the lentil oat burgers for about 4-5 minutes on each side, or until they’re heated through and have a nice sear.
- Serve the Lentil Oat Burgers on burger buns with your favorite toppings, such as lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado, and condiments.
(recipe makes 6 servings):
- Calories: 195
- Total Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 318mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 36g
- Dietary Fiber: 8g
- Sugars: 3g
- Protein: 10g