Indulge in the aromatic and pillowy goodness of Naan Recipe Vegan with this authentic recipe. Naan is a popular Indian flatbread traditionally made with dairy products, but this vegan version allows you to enjoy its soft texture and delicious taste without any animal ingredients. Whether you’re serving it alongside your favorite curry or using it as a base for sandwiches or wraps, this vegan naan bread will elevate your culinary experience. Get ready to savor the flavors of India with this plant-based twist on a classic recipe.
Servings: Makes 6 naan breads
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup dairy-free yogurt (such as soy or almond yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (plus extra for brushing)
- Optional toppings: chopped garlic, fresh cilantro, vegan butter
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, instant yeast, sugar, and salt. Mix well to ensure the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the warm water, dairy-free yogurt, and olive oil. Stir the mixture with a spoon or your hands until a rough dough forms.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead it for about 5-7 minutes, or until it becomes smooth and elastic. If the dough feels too sticky, you can add a little more flour, but be careful not to add too much, as it can make the naan dense.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover it with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap. Let it rest in a warm area for about 1-2 hours, or until it doubles in size.
- After the dough has risen, punch it down to release any air bubbles. Divide it into 6 equal portions and shape each portion into a ball.
- Preheat a non-stick skillet or griddle over medium-high heat.
- Take one dough ball and roll it out on a floured surface into an oval or round shape, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Carefully transfer the rolled-out dough onto the preheated skillet or griddle. Cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side, or until you see golden brown spots and the naan puffs up slightly.
- Remove the cooked naan from the skillet and place it on a plate. Brush the top with a little olive oil and, if desired, sprinkle with chopped garlic or fresh cilantro for added flavor.
- Repeat the process with the remaining dough balls, rolling them out and cooking them on the skillet.
- Serve the vegan naan bread warm with your favorite Indian dishes or use it as a base for wraps and sandwiches. For an extra indulgence, spread a bit of vegan butter on top while the naan is still warm.
1 naan bread, approximate values):
- Calories: 209
- Total Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 196mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 34g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 1g
- Protein: 5g