Savor the flavors of a classic Chinese dish with this Vegan Lo Mein Recipe. Lo mein, meaning “stirred noodles,” is a popular dish consisting of soft noodles, fresh vegetables, and a savory sauce. In this vegan version, traditional ingredients are substituted with plant-based alternatives, creating a delicious and wholesome meal that’s cruelty-free and satisfying. Prepare to enjoy a medley of colorful vegetables and tender noodles coated in a flavorful sauce. This vegan lo mein will surely become a favorite in your plant-based recipe collection!
Vegan Lo Mein Recipe:
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari (for gluten-free option)
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
For the lo mein:
- 8 ounces lo mein noodles or other long noodles of your choice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, julienned or thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups shredded cabbage or bok choy
- 1 cup bean sprouts (optional)
- Green onions, sliced, for garnish
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce or tamari, hoisin sauce, maple syrup or agave nectar, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Cook the lo mein noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and rinse them under cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large wok or skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and grated ginger. Stir-fry for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the sliced onion, carrots, bell pepper, and mushrooms to the wok. Stir-fry for about 4-5 minutes until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Add the shredded cabbage or bok choy, and bean sprouts (if using). Stir-fry for an additional 2-3 minutes until the cabbage has wilted slightly.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked vegetables and stir to coat evenly. Cook for another 1-2 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Add the cooked lo mein noodles to the wok and gently toss them with the vegetables and sauce until everything is well combined and heated through.
- Remove from heat and garnish with sliced green onions.
- Serve the vegan lo mein hot and enjoy!
Calories: Approximately 350 Total Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 800mg Total Carbohydrate: 58g
- Dietary Fiber: 6g
- Sugars: 10g Protein: 9g