If you’re looking for a nutritious and delicious alternative to traditional pasta, Spaghetti Squash Recipe Vegan is here to impress. With its unique stringy texture that resembles spaghetti noodles, spaghetti squash is a versatile ingredient that can be transformed into a variety of satisfying dishes. This vegan spaghetti squash recipe combines the natural sweetness of the squash with a flavorful sauce and plant-based toppings, creating a wholesome and satisfying meal. Embrace a lighter and healthier option with this vegan twist on spaghetti that will leave you feeling nourished and satisfied.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- Optional toppings: fresh basil leaves, nutritional yeast, vegan Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Carefully cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and stringy center using a spoon. Drizzle the cut sides with olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place the squash halves, cut side down, on a baking sheet. Roast in the preheated oven for about 40-45 minutes or until the flesh is tender and easily pierced with a fork.
- While the squash is roasting, prepare the sauce. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, and sauté until the onion becomes translucent and fragrant.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, dried basil, dried oregano, salt, and black pepper. Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for about 10-15 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- Once the spaghetti squash is cooked and slightly cooled, use a fork to scrape the flesh lengthwise, separating it into strands that resemble spaghetti noodles.
- Transfer the spaghetti squash strands into the skillet with the tomato sauce. Gently toss the squash with the sauce until well combined and heated through.
- Serve the vegan spaghetti squash in bowls, topping each portion with fresh basil leaves, nutritional yeast, or vegan Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Nutrition Facts per Serving (approximate values):
- Calories: 170
- Total Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 541mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 27g
- Dietary Fiber: 6g
- Sugars: 11g
- Protein: 3g