Vegan Black Bean Brownies are a delightful twist on the classic brownie recipe, offering a healthier and plant-based alternative that’s just as decadent and fudgy. These brownies are not only vegan, but they also incorporate the goodness of black beans, which add moisture, fiber, and a dose of plant-based protein. You won’t even taste the beans, just rich, chocolatey goodness. Let’s dive into making these scrumptious Vegan Black Bean Brownies.
Recipe: Vegan Black Bean Brownies
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup almond butter or any nut butter of your choice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (optional)
Preparing the Batter:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease an 8×8-inch (20×20 cm) square baking pan or line it with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, combine the drained and rinsed black beans, cocoa powder, rolled oats, maple syrup or agave nectar, melted coconut oil, almond butter, vanilla extract, baking powder, and a pinch of salt.
- Process the ingredients until you have a smooth and well-combined batter. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides of the food processor to ensure everything is mixed thoroughly.
- If you’re using chocolate chips, fold them into the batter at this point.
Baking the Brownies:
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan. Use a spatula to spread it evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean with a few moist crumbs attached. Be careful not to overbake; the brownies should remain fudgy.
Cooling and Serving:
- Remove the brownies from the oven and allow them to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
- After they’ve cooled slightly, you can lift them out of the pan using the parchment paper and transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the brownies are completely cooled, slice them into squares or rectangles.
(assuming 16 servings)
- Calories: 100
- Total Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 70mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 12g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 4g
- Protein: 2g