Vegan Chickpea Brownies are a delicious and healthier twist on traditional brownies. These plant-based brownies are made with a surprising ingredient – chickpeas! Chickpeas not only add moisture and fudginess to the brownies but also provide a boost of protein and fiber. With the rich cocoa flavor and natural sweetness from maple syrup, these brownies are a guilt-free indulgence that both vegans and non-vegans will love. Let’s dive into the recipe!
Recipe: Vegan Chickpea Brownies
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond butter (or any nut/seed butter of your choice)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (optional, for extra indulgence)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease an 8×8-inch (20×20 cm) square baking pan or line it with parchment paper for easy removal.
- In a food processor, combine the drained and rinsed chickpeas, almond butter, cocoa powder, pure maple syrup, vanilla extract, baking powder, and a pinch of salt.
- Blend the ingredients until smooth and creamy. You may need to scrape down the sides of the food processor to ensure everything is well combined.
- If using, fold in the dairy-free chocolate chips into the batter.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan, spreading it evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean with a few moist crumbs (don’t overbake).
- Remove the brownies from the oven and allow them to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Then, use the parchment paper to lift the brownies out of the pan and transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
(assuming 1/9th of the batch per serving):
- Calories: 200
- Total Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 150mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 26g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Total Sugars: 13g
- Protein: 6g