Experience the irresistible flavors of the South with this Vegan Pimento Cheese recipe. Made without any dairy or animal products, this plant-based version captures the essence of traditional pimento cheese while being suitable for vegans and those with dairy allergies. With its creamy texture, tangy notes, and a hint of spice, this vegan pimento cheese is perfect for spreading on sandwiches, crackers, or enjoying as a dip. Here’s a step-by-step guide to creating this delicious and cruelty-free delight.
Servings: This recipe makes approximately 8 servings.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 4 hours or overnight
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste (optional, for added depth of flavor)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup diced pimentos (from a jar, drained)
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, combine the soaked cashews, water, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, tahini, apple cider vinegar, white miso paste (if using), minced garlic, onion powder, smoked paprika, Dijon mustard, cayenne pepper, salt, and ground black pepper.
- Blend the ingredients until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy. If needed, scrape down the sides of the blender or food processor to ensure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Transfer the creamy mixture to a bowl and stir in the diced pimentos. Mix until the pimentos are evenly distributed throughout the cheese mixture.
- Taste the vegan pimento cheese and adjust the seasonings to your preference. You can add more salt, pepper, or cayenne pepper to enhance the flavors.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate the pimento cheese for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld together and for the mixture to firm up slightly.
- Once chilled, the vegan pimento cheese is ready to be enjoyed as a spread on sandwiches, crackers, or as a dip with vegetables.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Serving size: 1 tablespoon
- Calories: 65
- Total Fat: 6.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 80mg
- Carbohydrates: 0.4g
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugar: 0.1g
- Protein: 1.7g