Vegan Potato Croquettes are a delightful and satisfying appetizer or side dish that are not only delicious but also entirely plant-based. This recipe takes ordinary potatoes and transforms them into crispy, golden croquettes with a creamy interior. Whether you’re following a vegan lifestyle or simply looking for a delectable addition to your meal, these croquettes are sure to please. Here’s the full recipe, including nutrition facts and serving information.
Recipe: Vegan Potato Croquettes
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any plant-based milk)
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (for a cheesy flavor)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives (or green onions)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup bread crumbs (ensure they are vegan)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Optional: Vegan dipping sauce of your choice (such as a dairy-free ranch or ketchup)
Nutrition Facts (Approximate values per serving – makes approximately 8 servings):
- Calories: 170
- Total Fat: 3g
- Total Carbohydrates: 32g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4g
This recipe makes approximately 8 servings of Vegan Potato Croquettes.
1. Boil and Mash the Potatoes:
- Boil water and add the potatoes that have been cleaned and cut up. It usually takes about 15 to 20 minutes of cooking until they are soft and a fork can easily go through them.
- Put the potatoes back in the pot after draining them. Make the potatoes smooth by mashing them.
2. Add Vegan Butter and Milk:
- While the mashed potatoes are still hot, add the vegan butter and almond milk. Stir until the butter has melted and the mixture is creamy.
3. Incorporate Nutritional Yeast and Chives:
- Mix in the nutritional yeast, chopped chives, salt, and pepper. These ingredients add a cheesy and flavorful twist to the mashed potatoes.
4. Shape the Croquettes:
- Let the potato blend cool down until it’s easy to work with. After that, roll or form the mixture into small balls or cylinders.
5. Coat with Breadcrumbs:
- Make sure each croquette is covered thoroughly in bread crumbs as you roll it in them.
6. Heat the Oil:
- Turn on the stove to medium-high and add the veggie oil to a large skillet. There should be enough oil to cover the croquettes.
7. Fry the Croquettes:
- Carefully place the croquettes in the hot oil. They should be fried for about 3–4 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy all over. Make sure the pan isn’t too full.
8. Drain and Serve:
- Take the croquettes out of the pan and put them on a plate with paper towels on it to soak up the extra oil.
- Serve the Vegan Potato Croquettes while they’re hot and crispy. They’re excellent as an appetizer or side dish.
- Enjoy these delicious Vegan Potato Croquettes with their crispy exterior and creamy, flavorful interior. Dip them in your favorite vegan sauce for added delight.