Vegan Ratatouille is a colorful and flavorful French vegetable stew that celebrates the bounty of seasonal produce. This dish features an array of vibrant vegetables simmered in a fragrant tomato-based sauce, resulting in a hearty and nutritious meal. Traditionally, each vegetable is sliced and arranged in a visually appealing pattern, making it not only a culinary delight but also a feast for the eyes. This vegan version of Ratatouille is a delicious way to savor the goodness of fresh vegetables in a comforting and satisfying dish. Let’s dive into the recipe!
Recipe: Vegan Ratatouille
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into rounds
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 1 medium yellow squash, sliced into rounds
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups diced tomatoes (canned or fresh)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the sliced onion until translucent, then add the minced garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, dried thyme, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Let the mixture simmer for about 10 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together. Remove from heat.
- Pour the tomato mixture into the bottom of a baking dish, spreading it evenly.
- Arrange the sliced eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, and bell pepper strips in an alternating pattern on top of the tomato mixture in the baking dish.
- Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over the arranged vegetables.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 45-50 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and fully cooked.
- Remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 10-15 minutes, allowing the vegetables to slightly brown on top.
- Once the Vegan Ratatouille is cooked, remove it from the oven and let it cool slightly before serving.
Nutrition Facts: Here are the approximate nutrition facts per serving for Vegan Ratatouille (assuming 1/4 of the recipe):
- Calories: 146
- Total Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 327mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 24g
- Dietary Fiber: 8g
- Total Sugars: 13g
- Protein: 4g