Vegan Lentil Walnut Tacos are a delectable plant-based twist on the traditional taco filling. Packed with the hearty combination of protein-rich lentils and healthy fats from walnuts, these tacos are both nutritious and incredibly flavorful. The savory seasoning mix enhances the earthy flavors of the lentils and walnuts, making these tacos a satisfying and enjoyable meal for vegans and non-vegans alike. Let’s dive into the recipe!
Recipe: Vegan Lentil Walnut Tacos
Ingredients: For the Lentil Walnut Filling:
- 1 cup cooked green or brown lentils
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 small corn or flour tortillas
- Sliced avocado
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Diced tomatoes
- Sliced red onion
- Lime wedges
- In a skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the chopped onion and garlic, and sauté until they’re translucent and fragrant.
- Stir in the cooked lentils and chopped walnuts. Cook for a few minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
- Add the ground cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Mix well to coat the lentil-walnut mixture with the spices. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the skillet from heat and set the lentil-walnut filling aside.
- Warm the tortillas according to package instructions.
- To assemble the tacos, spoon the lentil-walnut filling onto each tortilla. Top with sliced avocado, chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes, and sliced red onion.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice over the toppings for an extra burst of flavor.
- Serve the Vegan Lentil Walnut Tacos warm and enjoy!
Here are the approximate nutrition facts per serving for two Vegan Lentil Walnut Tacos (excluding toppings):
- Calories: 360
- Total Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 310mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 38g
- Dietary Fiber: 12g
- Total Sugars: 2g
- Protein: 14g