These Vegan Spinach Balls Recipe are a delightful and nutritious appetizer or snack that will win over even the pickiest eaters. Packed with the goodness of spinach and flavorful herbs, these plant-based spinach balls are not only delicious but also easy to make. Whether you’re hosting a party, looking for a tasty finger food, or simply craving a healthy treat, these vegan spinach balls are the perfect choice. Let’s dive into the recipe and indulge in the green goodness of this savory and satisfying dish!
Vegan Spinach Balls Recipe:
- 10 oz (280g) fresh spinach, washed and chopped
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (use gluten-free breadcrumbs for a gluten-free option)
- 1/2 cup vegan grated Parmesan cheese (optional but recommended for extra flavor)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional, for some heat)
- Olive oil or cooking spray for greasing
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and lightly grease a baking sheet with olive oil or cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flaxseed meal with water, stirring well. Let it sit for a few minutes until it thickens and forms a gel-like consistency, creating a flax “egg.”
- In a large mixing bowl, add the chopped spinach, breadcrumbs, vegan grated Parmesan cheese (if using), finely chopped onion, minced garlic, nutritional yeast, fresh lemon juice, dried basil, dried oregano, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes (if using).
- Mix everything together until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Add the flax “egg” to the bowl and continue mixing until it binds the mixture together.
- Using your hands, form small balls with the spinach mixture and place them onto the greased baking sheet, leaving some space between each ball.
- Bake the spinach balls in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until they turn golden and slightly crispy on the outside.
Nutrition Facts (per serving, assuming 4 servings):
- Calories: ~150 kcal
- Total Fat: ~4g
- Saturated Fat: ~1g
- Carbohydrates: ~21g
- Fiber: ~4g
- Sugars: ~2g
- Protein: ~7g
- Sodium: ~450mg