Vegan Stuffed Potato Cakes are a delicious and versatile dish that can be enjoyed as an appetizer, snack, or even a main course. These crispy, golden cakes are filled with a flavorful mixture of mashed potatoes and a variety of seasonings. They’re vegan, so they’re free of animal products, making them suitable for a plant-based diet. Serve them with your favorite dipping sauce or enjoy them on their own. Let’s dive into the recipe.
Recipe: Vegan Stuffed Potato Cakes
For the Potato Cakes:
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any plant-based milk)
- 2 tbsp vegan butter or olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (ensure they are vegan)
- Oil for frying
For the Filling:
- 1 cup mixed vegetables (e.g., peas, carrots, corn), cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving – Makes approximately 8 servings):
- Calories: 220
- Total Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Sodium: 150mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 36g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Sugars: 2g
- Protein: 4g
This recipe makes approximately 8 Vegan Stuffed Potato Cakes.
1. Prepare the Mashed Potatoes:
- Potatoes, peeled and cubed, should be placed in a saucepan of salted water. Bring the potatoes to a boil and simmer until tender. After draining, add the vegetables back to the saucepan.
- To the potatoes, combine almond milk, vegan butter or olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mash them until velvety and smooth. Aside; set aside.
2. Make the Filling:
- Olive oil is heated in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the minced onions for an additional minute, or until translucent.
- Cook the minced garlic for an additional minute, or until aromatic.
- Add the vegetables that have been combined, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper. After a few minutes of cooking, ensure that all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
3. Assemble the Potato Cakes:
- Flatten a portion of the mashed potatoes using your palm.
- Construct a patty by encasing a tablespoon of the vegetable filling within the center of the potato and covering it with the mashed potatoes. Proceed in the same manner with the remaining mixture.
4. Coat with Breadcrumbs:
- Coat each potato cake thoroughly in the breadcrumbs.
5. Fry the Potato Cakes:
- In a skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Cook the potato cakes in the heated oil with care, until they become crisp and golden brown on both sides.
6. Drain and Serve:
- Place the cooked potato cakes on a paper towel to drain any excess oil.
- Serve your Vegan Stuffed Potato Cakes hot with your favorite dipping sauce.