Elevate your grilling game with this delectable Vegan BBQ Sauce Recipe, a smoky and tangy condiment that adds a burst of flavor to your plant-based dishes. Crafted with a perfect balance of natural sweetness, savory spices, and a touch of heat, this homemade BBQ sauce proves that you don’t need animal products to achieve authentic and mouthwatering results. Whether you’re a seasoned vegan cook or someone looking to explore new flavors, this Vegan BBQ Sauce is a must-have recipe for enhancing the taste of grilled vegetables, tofu, tempeh, or even plant-based burgers. So, fire up your grill and let’s dive into the art of creating this versatile and finger-licking-good Vegan BBQ Sauce!
Servings: Makes approximately 2 cups of BBQ sauce
- 1 cup ketchup (check for vegan-friendly options)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or another vegan sweetener of choice
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to your preferred level of spiciness)
- Salt to taste
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the ketchup, apple cider vinegar, water, soy sauce (or tamari), maple syrup (or vegan sweetener), molasses, and Dijon mustard.
- Stir in the smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, ground black pepper, ground cumin, and cayenne pepper until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. This allows the flavors to meld and the sauce to thicken slightly.
- Taste the Vegan BBQ Sauce and season with salt as needed to balance the flavors.
- Once the sauce reaches your desired consistency and taste, remove it from the heat and let it cool.
- Transfer the cooled Vegan BBQ Sauce into airtight containers or jars, and store it in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts per Serving (approximate values – 2 tablespoons):
- Calories: 31
- Total Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 279mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 7g
- Dietary Fiber: 0g
- Sugars: 6g
- Protein: 0g