Embrace the culinary traditions of Latin America with this delectable Vegan Empanada Recipe, a plant-based twist on the classic savory pastry. These golden, flaky turnovers are filled with a savory mixture of vegetables, beans, and aromatic spices that will transport your taste buds to a world of authentic flavors. Whether you’re a seasoned vegan cook or simply looking to explore new plant-based recipes, these Vegan Empanadas are perfect for sharing with family and friends or enjoying as a delightful snack. So, let’s roll up our sleeves and create these savory delights that are sure to become a favorite in your vegan kitchen.
Servings: Makes approximately 12 empanadas
For the Dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or use gluten-free flour for a gluten-free version)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or coconut oil (solid and cold)
- 1/2 cup cold water
For the Filling:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup cooked black beans (canned or cooked from dried)
- 1 cup cooked corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (adjust to your desired level of spiciness)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped (optional, for added freshness)
For the Dough:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour and salt.
- Add the vegan butter or solid coconut oil to the flour mixture. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, work the butter/oil into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add the cold water to the flour mixture, mixing until a dough forms. Be careful not to overmix; you want the dough to come together without being too sticky.
- Form the dough into a ball, cover it with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow it to rest and chill.
For the Filling:
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the finely chopped onion and sauté until it becomes translucent.
- Stir in the minced garlic, diced carrot, and potato. Cook for a few minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the cooked black beans, cooked corn kernels, ground cumin, paprika, chili powder, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Mix well, allowing the flavors to meld together. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and let the filling cool slightly. If desired, stir in the chopped cilantro or parsley for added freshness.
Assembling the Empanadas:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, roll out the chilled dough to about 1/8-inch thickness.
- Using a round cutter or a small plate, cut the dough into approximately 4-inch circles.
- Place a spoonful of the filling in the center of each dough circle.
- Carefully fold the dough over the filling to create a half-moon shape. Use a fork to press the edges of the dough together, sealing the empanadas.
- Transfer the filled empanadas to the prepared baking sheet.
- Optional: Brush the tops of the empanadas with a little plant-based milk for a golden finish.
- Bake the Vegan Empanadas in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until they are golden and crispy.
Nutrition Facts per Serving (approximate values – 1 empanada):
- Calories: 188
- Total Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 142mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 27g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Sugars: 1g
- Protein: 4g