Vegan French Croissants are a buttery, flaky pastry that is an absolute delight to enjoy, even on a plant-based diet. These croissants are a vegan twist on the classic French pastry, and they’re just as light, airy, and delicious as the original. Whether you’re vegan, lactose intolerant, or just looking for a tasty breakfast treat, these croissants will satisfy your cravings. Here’s how to make them.
Recipe: Vegan French Croissants
- 1 1/4 cups warm almond milk
- 1 packet (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, cold and cubed
For the Vegan Butter Block:
- 1 cup vegan butter, cold
For the Glaze:
- 1/4 cup apricot jam (or other fruit jam)
- 1-2 tbsp warm water
1. Activate the Yeast:
- In a small bowl, combine the warm almond milk and yeast. Let it sit for about 5-10 minutes until frothy.
2. Prepare the Dough:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the cold, cubed vegan butter and the yeast mixture. Mix until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes until it’s smooth.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Prepare the Vegan Butter Block:
- Roll out the cold vegan butter between two sheets of parchment paper into a rectangle.
- Place it in the refrigerator to chill.
4. Laminate the Dough:
- Roll out the chilled dough into a large rectangle.
- Place the chilled vegan butter block in the center of the dough.
- Fold the dough over the butter, then fold in the sides, creating an envelope.
- Roll out the dough again, then fold it in thirds like a letter.
- Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.
5. Repeat the Folding:
- Repeat the rolling and folding process two more times, chilling the dough for 30 minutes between each fold.
6. Shape the Croissants:
- Roll out the dough into a large rectangle.
- Cut it into triangles.
- Roll each triangle from the base to the tip, creating a croissant shape.
7. Let the Croissants Rise:
- Place the croissants on a baking sheet and cover them. Let them rise for 1-2 hours, or until they’ve doubled in size.
8. Preheat and Bake:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Bake the croissants for about 15-20 minutes or until they’re golden brown.
9. Prepare the Glaze:
- In a small saucepan, heat the apricot jam with a little warm water until it becomes a glaze.
10. Glaze and Serve:
- Brush the warm croissants with the glaze for a shiny finish.
- Calories: 280
- Total Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Sodium: 350mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 27g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 6g
- Protein: 3g