Vegan Jjajangmyeon is a delectable Korean noodle dish known for its rich and savory black bean sauce. This vegan version offers all the bold flavors of the traditional dish without the use of animal products. It features thick, chewy noodles smothered in a luscious black bean sauce filled with vegetables. Whether you’re a longtime fan of Jjajangmyeon or new to Korean cuisine, you’ll love this plant-based twist on a classic. Let’s dive into the recipe:
Recipe: Vegan Jjajangmyeon
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup black bean paste (chunjang)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 small potato, diced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
For the Noodles:
- 8 oz (about 230g) Korean or Chinese-style thick wheat noodles (jajangmyeon noodles)
1. Prepare the Sauce:
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the finely chopped onion and sauté until it becomes translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the minced garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the black bean paste (chunjang) to the skillet and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until it darkens and becomes aromatic.
2. Cook the Vegetables:
- Add the diced zucchini, carrot, and potato to the skillet. Stir-fry the vegetables for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cover the skillet and let the vegetables cook for about 10-15 minutes, or until they are tender and the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the sugar, salt, and black pepper to taste. Adjust the seasoning as needed to achieve a balanced flavor.
3. Cook the Noodles:
- While the sauce is simmering, cook the jajangmyeon noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Divide the cooked noodles into serving bowls.
- Ladle the rich vegan black bean sauce over the noodles.
- Optionally, garnish with chopped green onions or cucumbers for a fresh contrast.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving):
- Calories: 410
- Total Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Sodium: 950mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 68g
- Dietary Fiber: 8g
- Sugars: 9g
- Protein: 9g