Discover the delightful world of plant-based cuisine with these Recipe Vegan Tamales. Tamales, a traditional Latin American dish, get a vegan twist that’s just as flavorful and satisfying as the original. Filled with a savory mixture of vegetables, beans, and spices, these tamales are wrapped in corn husks and steamed to perfection. Embrace the art of tamale-making with this vegan recipe that’s sure to captivate your taste buds and showcase the beauty of plant-based cooking.
Vegan Tamales Recipe: Servings: Makes about 12 tamales
For the Dough:
- 2 cups masa harina (corn masa flour)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or coconut oil, softened
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Filling:
- 1 cup black beans, cooked and drained
- 1 cup diced vegetables (bell peppers, zucchini, carrots, etc.)
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Corn husks, soaked in warm water to soften
Prepare the Filling:
- In a pan, sauté the diced onions until translucent.
- Add the minced garlic, diced vegetables, ground cumin, and chili powder. Cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the cooked black beans and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Make the Dough:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the masa harina, softened vegan butter or coconut oil, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually add the vegetable broth and mix until a soft dough forms. The dough should hold together but not be too sticky.
Assemble the Tamales:
- Take a softened corn husk and spread a thin layer of the prepared dough onto the center of the husk.
- Add a spoonful of the vegetable and bean filling onto the dough.
Roll and Steam:
- Roll the tamale by folding the sides of the corn husk over the filling, then fold up the bottom.
- Place the tamales upright in a steamer basket. If you don’t have a steamer basket, you can use a large pot with a steam rack.
- Steam the tamales for about 45-60 minutes, or until the dough is cooked and firm.
Serve and Enjoy:
- Allow the tamales to cool slightly before serving.
- Serve them with your favorite vegan salsa, guacamole, or plant-based crema.
Nutrition Facts (per serving, based on 1 tamale):
- Calories: ~200
- Total Fat: ~7g
- Saturated Fat: ~3g
- Carbohydrates: ~30g
- Fiber: ~5g
- Sugars: ~1g
- Protein: ~5g
- Sodium: ~400mg