Quick Vegan Paratha is a delightful and versatile Indian flatbread that’s not only delicious but also plant-based. This paratha recipe is perfect for vegans and anyone looking for a simple and quick way to enjoy this traditional Indian bread. It’s flaky, flavorful, and can be paired with a variety of side dishes or enjoyed on its own. Let’s dive into the recipe!
Recipe: Quick Vegan Paratha
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup water (approximately)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the whole wheat flour and salt.
- Add the vegetable oil to the flour mixture.
- Gradually add water while mixing. Start with 2/3 cup of water and add more if needed. The goal is to form a soft and pliable dough.
- Knead the dough for about 3-5 minutes until it becomes smooth. Cover the dough with a clean cloth or plastic wrap and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- After resting, divide the dough into equal-sized portions and roll them into balls, about the size of golf balls.
- Take one dough ball and flatten it slightly with your palm.
- Roll the flattened dough ball into a thin circle on a lightly floured surface. You can use a rolling pin to do this. Aim for a thickness of about 1/8 inch (3 mm).
- Heat a non-stick skillet or griddle over medium-high heat.
- Place the rolled-out dough circle onto the hot skillet. Cook for about 1-2 minutes, or until small bubbles begin to appear on the surface.
- Flip the paratha using a spatula and cook the other side. While cooking, you can add a drizzle of vegetable oil or vegan butter to both sides to make it flakier and tastier.
- Cook until both sides are golden brown and have a few brown spots. Press gently with a spatula to ensure even cooking.
- Remove the paratha from the skillet and place it on a plate. If desired, lightly brush it with more vegetable oil or vegan butter for extra flavor.
- Repeat the process with the remaining dough balls.
(assuming one paratha per serving):
- Calories: 150
- Total Fat: 3g
- Sodium: 290mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 27g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 5g