This fall-off-the-bone Vegan Oxtails Recipe braised with butter beans, gravy and classic Jamaican spices simmers away on the stovetop or slow cooker. Serve this mouthwatering meal for any special occasion!
- 2 cans of young green jackfruit in brine 1 onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon jerk seasoning
- 1 tablespoon adobo seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Sazon seasoning
- 2-3 cups of vegan chicken or vegetable stock Avocado oil Salt to taste
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit and remove any seeds. Cut into smaller pieces and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a bowl, mix together the jerk, adobo, and Sazon seasoning. Add the jackfruit to the bowl and mix well to coat.
- Heat some avocado oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the jackfruit to the pan and brown on all sides, flipping occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until it has a nice crust.
- Remove the jackfruit from the pan and set aside.
- In a blender, combine the garlic, carrots, habanero pepper, ginger, and a splash of water. Blend until smooth to make the veggie puree.
- In the same pan used for the jackfruit, add the sliced onions and bell peppers. Sauté for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the veggie puree to the pan and mix well with the veggies.
- Pour in the vegan chicken or vegetable stock, and add the brownie seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Add the jackfruit back to the pan and mix well. Cover the pan and let it simmer for about 20-30 minutes until the jackfruit is tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve the jerk-spiced jackfruit with veggie puree over rice or with your favorite side dish.